Washing-up area in disabled kitchens
The washing-up area in the disabled kitchen can be adapted to your kitchen. When you have special needs in terms of moving round your home, the washing-up area is one of those places that you can adapt as you like.
To become more independent in the kitchen, we recommend that:
- the washing-up area is height-adjustable, so you get a good working height, whether you are standing or sitting
- the washing-up area is next to the food preparation area to reduce the challenge of lifting food and cooking utensils
- there is worktop space on both sides of the sink to put things aside
- the sink is insulated on the bottom, to avoid burns on the legs if you are in a wheelchair
- electrics and plumbing are covered to optimise safety
Regardless of your needs there are many solutions that can help you join in the cooking, and we'd love to help you.